My Dad is seriously the best of the best out there. Last week, he brought me on a “Dad and daughter” trip to Charleston, South Carolina. My grandparents live in a very sleepy town about an hour away called Georgetown, so we thought we’d add a few days of fun in before heading to see them. In true Dad fashion, we booked the trip less than two weeks before. Usually this would stress me out, but it actually led to very good hotel and restaurant karma! I was able to get us a room at the Zero George through HotelTonight (my favorite app ever), and it was the BEST hotel choice we could have made.
The Zero George was truly the best hotel I’ve been lucky enough to stay at – a true southern charmer, and the best representation of what Charleston is all about – history, charm and food. ZG is a luxury bed & breakfast that truly just “gets it” on all levels. Upon check-in, you’re greeted with a cold flute of champagne and southern charm. After getting settled at the desk, they will show you to your room – a suite amongst 12 others, decked out in all-white decor and a design that is modern while showing the buildings history – which dates back to the 1800’s. After settling in, guests are welcomed to the patio or wrap-around porch for complimentary wine and cheese plates (which were seriously outstanding!). Taking in the southern heat, and the sweet smell coming from the kitchen below while eating a decadant cheese plate is my kind of heaven. Upon returning from happy hour, I found my room in turn-down service mode, fully equipped with an ocean breeze white noise machine, sweet chocolates and trail mix next to my bed, fresh water bottles and slippers placed just so. AH! I was in vacation mode immediately. My Dad and I then headed out to a few rooftop bars before settling on a dinner spot. Rooftop bars are HUGE in Charleston, which was a treat for me, being from San Francisco, our rooftops are sparse. Waking up the next morning, we enjoyed complimentary lattes and breakfast out on the porch. Following that, we took the Zero George bikes for a spin and went to explore – which really meant three hours on the bikes having the absolute time of our lives! Charleston is such a bike-friendly city and having a breeze while on the bike vs. walking made exploring all that more barable in the heat. I’ve rounded up a few of my favorites places we came across while on the trip incase you ever find yourself in Charleston. I certainly have already started planning my next trip…
- Zero George Restaurant: We only had breakfast here unfortunately, but the restaurant at the Zero George makes the top 5 list for “Best Hotels for Foodies” in 2016 according to Conde Nast. This is top on my list for dinner during our next visit!
- Magnolias: A true southern eatery with great service.. We had the filet minion and plank salmon. So yum.
- Black Tap Coffee: I’ve been obsessed with “mint mojito” lattes. This place absolutely has those down.
- The Vendue Rooftop: Smooth, refreshing Pinto Grigio (and a great Martini according to Dad!) The views didn’t hurt either.
- Husk Bar: Husk is like SF’s Nopa – impossible to get into. Luckily, they have a small bar next door the we took advantage of for burgers, cheese plates and cocktails.
See you down south! 🙂