I planned to post a tropical tree laden travel guide today, but in light of what is happening in our world, I couldn’t bring myself to publish it just yet. It’s a bit lame that I had this post half-written since two weeks ago, and haven’t touched it since! Needless to say, things have changed dramatically since I last tried to put my thoughts onto the page. I almost feel like the more time I have, the less I’ve been getting done. I had big plans to stockpile and work on upcoming posts, deep clean my condo, and digital organize. Basically a Virgo’s dream week, yet I almost feel paralyzed during points of the day. I’m trying to do my best by leaning into it and taking those feelings hour by hour. Heck — I haven’t even watched any TV shows, since I find myself distracted (by nothing.) That monopoly game sitting at the dining room table hasn’t been played, even though we talk about playing each night after dinner. At this point, I am so grateful to have the opportunity to work from home, which helps keep a some what normal day, especially on days that are filled with meetings and set commitments. My girlfriend joked on her Instagram the other day that she’s quarantined with her husband and her multiple personalities. LOL. Couldn’t relate more.
Like my mom texted me earlier — we complain all the time that we have no time. Well, now we have it! Mom’s do always know best, huh? I gained over 2.5 hour hours onto my usual workday without having to pick out outfits, get ready like I usually do for work, workout at 6am everyday in order to fit it in, and commute to the office and back home. I’m sure your new day looks similar. Here’s what I’m doing to stay busy.
- Making healthy breakfasts and lunches! This gives me a break after checking my morning emails, then provides me with a mid-day break. Any one else hate sitting all day even more now that you don’t have that comfy office chair with a perfectly set-up desk? Some idea’s I’ve been loving — homemade green smoothies, oatmeal with berries & ZenBasil Seeds, GG cracker pizza’s, big “fridge clean-out” salads, crustless quiche, “snack plate” with veggies/hummus/cheese/apples, and avocado toast.
- WALKING/Moving! You won’t catch or spread the virus by walking along the water or on the sidewalk alone. I’ve been taking 25 minute walks twice a day to hit my usual calorie goal (600 in movement is what works for me.) I highly recommend Melissa Wood Health or Peloton workouts if you can’t go outside. MWH is only $9.99/month and Peloton is offering 3 months free right now for new users — I LOVE their strength training classes. I usually use these apps when traveling in, and have actually loved that I’m able to switch up my usual routine of going to the same 3-4 classes in my neighborhood. I’m going to follow up this post in a few days with my social distancing workout schedule.
- Creating Ambiance — For those type-A Virgos who can’t get anything done if their space isn’t fresh and clean. I’ve been keeping my windows open for fresh air and sun (I love you, SF weather), playing music on my speakers all day, and making sure to tidy up after the work day. I think I had 4 coffee cups on my desk today (AKA my kitchen table.) I also now have a “coworker” who seems to leave bread crumbs all over the kitchen, that coworker is my fiancé. 😉
- Project: Closet! During “break” times during the day, I’m working on my closet and posting everything I don’t love on my Poshmark page. A lot of stores are having great sales now that their actual shops are closed. This is a great time to gather things for the summer and support your favorite shops. J. Crew is 40% off right now and I’m eye-ing these pants for summer!
- Video meetings and texting. I’ve found that my mood boosts after a video meeting with my co-worker. Make sure its a video-on meeting so that you actually have to get “ready” for the day. I’ve also been texting friends a lot more than usual during the work day to stay semi-connected. My girlfriends on the east coast and I plan to do a Zoom virtual happy hour! I think its going to just be an hour of us talking over each other, per usual. Haha.
- Trying to work on my side hustle! See? I’m giving my blog some extra love today. 🙂 I was also chatting with a girlfriend about starting a podcast, who knows, maybe this is the best thing that could have happened to us! If you want to catch up on other lifestyle posts from the blog, a few favorites are Whats in My Fridge, Wellness Practices, Podcasts & Books I’m Lovin’ Lately, and My Morning Routine!
- Beauty — This sounds a bit gross, but if you’ve been wanting to “train” your hair, AKA, not have to wash everyday and prolong blowouts, now is the time do to the training! I’ve been doing it for the last two weeks and hoping it works. Throw it in a cute pony tail for your video calls and by the time this is all over, you’ll be able to prolong your hair a few days, which, in the end, will help you have healthier hair! This is also a great time to give nails a break and give your hair a break from heat styling. I’ve been doing a green mint julep mud mask every few days while I make breakfast or dinner. This one is my go-to drug store buy, my mom has been using it her whole life and our family swears by it! I’ve also been doing deep conditioning treatments on my hair. Another thing I’ve been experimenting with is training my body to use only all natural deodorant. I’d say I used this stuff half the time and the real deal (AKA Secret Clinical Protection, so bad for you) the other half. I’m trying to only use the natural one during isolation. This one is my favorite.
- Cocktails! This probably doesn’t seem like the appropriate thing to say, but I’ve been so looking forward to a “happy hour” at the end of each day with a glass of wine and little cup of popcorn. I think it’s helping me signify the end of the day and turn work on “off” mode when work and play is now all in the same room. Kyle made lemoncello last weekend with lemons we had from his parents lemon tree. We joke that it’ll be done by the time we’re out of this mess, but actually, it may even be done before our isolation ends!! Its super easy, all you need is a pretty bottle, lemons, vodka, and sugar. I’m also going to try to make the now infamous espresso martini. I’ve never had one! May as well put those martini glasses to use at home..
- Future Travel Planning — I know, I know. I won’t be traveling any time soon, BUT thats not to say I won’t be traveling within the next year. This WILL pass. I’m taking advantage of all the airlines new cancellation rules and booking trips that are still a “maybe”, along with all my summer east coast trips, since I have the peace of mind that I can easily cancel them.
- Next weekend we’re going to do a “date night” at home. I’ll cook a full meal — appetizer, salad, entree, dessert, and cocktail, and Kyle will cook the following day! I really want to try making a whole roasted chicken. I’m secretly hoping Kyle will make Boeuf Bourguignon, which he last made when we first started dating and watched the movie Julia & Julia. Who knows, maybe he will order pizza as his “meal day”. Haha.
Wishing you all happy thoughts, health, and love.